Monday, October 30, 2006

04 Horiyoshi III on Tattoo Aftercare

Before sharing these stories, I first related them to Horiyoshi III to make sure he felt they were accurate and appropriate for disclosure. I also proposed topics that would remain off limits, but he waived these restrictions. He encouraged me to share all my experiences.

Horiyoshi had forgotten, or simply not noticed many of the events that I found memorable. Telling my Horiyoshi stories to Horiyoshi himself was fun for both of us. Today's anecdote is the one that seemed to amuse him the most.

Around 2006, a foreigner was getting tattooed by Horiyoshi. In the West, it is customary for the artist to provide the client with detailed aftercare instructions. After his session, the foreigner looked puzzled when Horiyoshi finished without saying anything. So, the client requested his instructions.

Horiyoshi replied in English, “Don't touch.” The master subscribes to the LITFA (leave it the fuck alone) school of tattoo aftercare.

No comments:

Post a Comment