Monday, November 1, 2010

12 Anything for Irezumi

Horiyoshi III answered the phone and listened intently. “Sure, come by any time!” he told the caller. He hung up and explained to those of us in the studio, “A Dutch company is doing a television program on koi (carp) and they want some material on koi tattoos.” Horiyoshi returned to tattooing me, declaring with a bemused smile, “I'll do anything for irezumi.”

And he does. Horiyoshi opens his studios and techniques to anyone who can promote and enhance the art of tattooing. I already told you about the frequent visits by journalists.

Once I arrived at the studio to find Horiyoshi examining a pile of aluminum stock. I inquired what he was up to. “People do not know how to make tebori equipment that can be properly autoclaved,” he explained. “So, I'm going to make some, and sell it so people can copy them. Indeed these tebori kits were for sale on Horiyoshi's web site, where he wrote humbly,

Nothing makes me happier than seeing the tattoo world advance. Be it tools or whatever, if I find something good, I do not want to keep it to myself. It is with this feeling that I publicize and sell this kit...

This is what I am currently using and what I think works best. Of course, I do not think that my own method is the only way. People all have different ideas, and I think it would be fabulous if someone could use this as a step toward an even better design.

Another time, a guy with a computer was industriously scanning a pile of the tracing paper sketches that Horiyoshi uses as the basis for his tattoos. I assume the images found their way into one the books of his sketches. I asked Horiyoshi why he publishes his core intellectual property. He answered, “I want them to serve as inspiration for other artists.”

He'll do anything for tattoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment